You are here:
Home > Help Us > Volunteering
Woofs & Wage Dog Walking Crew
Interested in volunteering at the shelter?
We welcome you to apply to our volunteer program if you are:
- At least 18 years old
- Able to provide at least 8 hours of service per month with a scheduled shift of two hours per week.
- Able to attend the Shelter 101 class and (3) two-hour training sessions with a mentor.
- Able to squat, bend, twist, lift, or stand for long periods when working directly with the animals.
- Possess strong customer service skills and are able to read, write and communicate clearly, since all volunteer positions work directly with the public, staff, and other volunteers.
- Have regular access to the Internet and an email account.
- $25 application fee (includes volunteer shirt, treat bag and clicker)
- This is required your first day of training.
*We recommend the Community Service Hours for those students that require short term hours.
Submit an application.
This shift is a 2 hour a week commitment. Available shift times are 1:30pm - 3:30pm Monday through Sunday. This shift includes stuffing Kongs and getting ready and handing out enrichment frisbees for the pups. Enrichment is what keeps the pups happy and healthy in their kennels while waiting for their new family.
- Must be 18+
- Must love dogs!
- Must be able to stand and bend for extended periods of time.
- Will be working in a kitchen with various food items (peanut butter, dog food, various fruits and vegetables)
- Must be able to work independently & take initiative when needed.
Click here to Submit an application.
After submitting your online application, we will contact you within 3-5 business days to start the onboarding process.
Dogs on special diets, skinny or needing additional enrichment get an extra meal throughout the day. That's where you come in! The shift includes getting the meals together, feeding (based on a list we provide), collecting bowls and washing them at the end of your shift.
Submit an application. After submitting your online application, we will contact you within 3-5 business days to start the onboarding process.
Junior Shelter Assistant Orientation
This is an opportunity for kids between the ages of 9-11 years who are interested in learning more about what we do at the shelter, how it runs, dog behaviors and then just some fun activities! This is a 6 week long class. We accept up to 8 kids per session. Classes are held on Sundays 11am - 12pm. Registration is $40.
Class is full, stay tuned for the next session dates.
This is a non-dog handling position open to volunteers who aren’t interested in (what can be) the labor intensive shift of walking a dog. You must be 18+ years for this position.
This shift can include such things as: cleaning kennels, stocking treats, helping with laundry, "Click for quiet", making adoption folders, washing bowls and assisting clients walking through the main adoption floor and more!
Submit an application.
School/Community Service Hours
This is for high school students who need to fulfill academic community hours. This program allows students to work outside the shelter while still learning and investigating but helping out CCAS dogs at the same time.
The best part is that students pick their own project! We allow them the opportunity to learn and study things that interest them. They can start a fundraiser. Research breed specific legislation. Make blankets. Whatever suit their fancy.
- Must be in high school
- Decide what your project will be
- Complete the questions on the application
- Mail it in or drop it off
- Approval (or follow up questions) of project will be sent via email
- Get started!
Please download this application and mail or submit to email@example.com.
Senior Service Project (Intern) Hours
This is for High School seniors who need to complete intern hours in order to graduate. We take up to (5) students. Applications are accepted January 1st- March 1st. Please download the application and either email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter
9500 Sweet Valley Dr.
Valley View, OH 44125
Attn: Jen Huettich
Court Mandated Community Service
(At this time we are not able to provide this service. Check back often to see when we will resume CMCS.)
Community Service is available on a first come, first serve basis. Hours are served from 9am-3pm Monday- Friday. Please contact Jen Huettich at email@example.com for more information.